Jessica Thompson

Natural skincare is something that has been close to my heart for almost two years now. I’m a journalist and beauty blogger based in Galway, Ireland. I love to write about health and natural beauty on my blog, Beautiful Health, where I frequently review natural skincare products and makeup.

Because I review various products, my skin routine changes often. I might be testing out a new cleanser or moisturiser for example, or I may have received a new foundation that I’m trying out for a month or so. I nearly always return to the same products, unless the ones I test and review are better than a product I fell in love with before. So here are my top natural skincare and makeup products.

Exfoliation is key as it’s a great way to remove dead skin cells and reveal brighter, fresher, newer skin beneath. I wouldn’t use a harsh exfoliator with microbeads though, as these can damage the skin. My favourite is Ginvera Green Tea Whitening Marvel Zero Blackhead Gel. It’s incredible and completely natural. Simply rub this gel on your face and massage it in. You’ll feel the top layer of skin come off as you rub.

If I have any blemishes on my face, I will use tiny amount of tea tree oil, which kills infection and heals unsightly spots quite quickly. But pure essential oils can be harsh on some skin types, so I would advise anyone considering this to be very careful until you know exactly what your skin can handle.

I like to combine the tea tree oil with a soothing Aloe Vera Gel. I go for a brand that is 99.9% pure Aloe Vera. The remaining 0.1% is made up of antioxidant vitamins A, C and E. Antioxidants remove free radicals from the body, in this case protecting the skin. Aloe Vera also heals scars left over from blemishes very quickly.

Once I’ve done all that, I moisturise with Nia Intensive Restoring Moisturiser. It’s a blend of 100% natural butters, herbs and essential oils, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals suited for the routine or intensive care of dry, sensitive or irritated skin. There is no water, additives, silicones, parabens, mineral oil, beeswax, petrolium, emulsifiers or synthetic fragrance in this balm and although it is 100% concentrated, it is still light in texture and soaks in easily.

It feels like a light mousse – something I loved about it immediately – and it soaks in really quickly, leaving the skin feeling soft, nourished and hydrated. It’s filled with some of the best soothing, calming, healing ingredients you could find, including coconut oil, olive fruit oil, sweet almond oil, evening primrose oil, Vitamin E and so much more. Best of all, you only need a tiny bit of it, because it’s so concentrated. Let it soak in for a couple of minutes before you apply makeup. If I can get away without wearing makeup, I tend not to wear it. So I go more days without than I do with makeup. But when I go somewhere that requires a bit of makeup, I try to keep it as natural as possible.

Ginvera’s BB Cream is one of my absolute favourite products. It’s nude so it blends to all skin tones and the coverage is amazing. I rarely need concealer with it and any time I do need it, it’s because my diet has been less than healthy and I need a bit more coverage as a result (damn you junk food!). It’s only problem is that it’s a bit shiny – but that’s nothing a little translucent powder won’t cure.

Benecos is another makeup brand I adore – especially for eye makeup. Benecos Natural Kajal Black Eyeliner Pencil is very smooth and so gentle on the eyes. It can be light or it can be very black depending on how you apply it, and it gives a very dramatic line.

Benecos Natural Baked Eye Shadow is amazing, and comes in a variety of colours. This eye shadow can be layered on to provide a light colour or a more dramatic look for evening wear. I personally like to go for brown shades.

When I want a bit of colour on my lips, I like Benecos Coral Pink Lipstick because it’s very subtle. This is a pure mineral lipstick. It’s smooth and nourishing and it has vitamin E in it to keep lips soft.

Finally, for the finishing touch, I’ll apply my favourite mascara of all time; Body Shop Super Volume
Mascara. It gives amazing volume and coats the lashes without making them clump together. It’s also long lasting – I fell asleep without removing it once and it stayed on perfectly – with no smudges on the pillow!

www.beautifulhealth.ie

Inside Jessica’s Makeup Bag:

2 Comments

  • Reply April 28, 2015

    Jess

    Wow, it’s so great to see this up and running! Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.beautifulhealth.ie to find out more about my beauty favourites :) x

    • Reply May 11, 2015

      Rach De

      Will do! Thanks Jess!

Leave a Reply